USDA released its Quarterly Hogs and Pigs Report on March 30. The report showed on March 1, 2023:
- Inventory of all hogs and pigs was 72.9 million head. This was up slightly from March 1, 2022, but down 2% from December 1, 2022.
- Breeding inventory was 6.13 million head, up slightly from last year, but down slightly from the previous quarter.
- Market hog inventory was 66.7 million head, up slightly from last year, but down 2% from last quarter.
Hogs and Pigs Report Economists
The Pork Checkoff hosted a webinar following the report release and invited three guest economists to share their insight and analysis of the report.
- Dr. Steve Meyer, Partners for Production Agriculture
- Katelyn McCullock, Livestock Marketing Information Center
- Altin Kalo, Steiner Consulting Group
Dr. Steve Meyer’s Analysis
Katelyn McCullock’s Analysis
Altin Kalo’s Analysis
Full Webinar Recording
The views expressed in this webinar by our invited guests are theirs and not those of the National Pork Board. The National Pork Board does not advocate or endorse any particular production or marketing direction.